Dangers of Daydreaming in Class

It's very hard not to write posts that will, at the very least cause me to be viewed as odd, and at the worst, declared certifiable (see my first entry). But I suppose I should give it a shot. This is important to me because writing is my one steadfast dream, and I've had a long dry spell full of banal plots, one dimensional characters and trite aphorisms. Hopefully this marks the beginning of a great first novel.

I'm working on a new new story idea, and it's begun to take on some very unique aspects. I posted a blog about Steampunk earlier and its taken root and grown into a steampunk bramble full of strange fruit and sharp thorns. Although Steampunk generally centers around a time period that looks mid to late 19th century-ish, there don't appear to be any hard and fast rules about that. I'm not sure whether anyone has done it before (probably -- I just haven't seen it yet) but my setting is taking on a distinctly mid-eighteenth century look. The clothing, mostly; and the way the airships are built reminds me more of tall ships than hot air balloons and blimps. I don't really care if that's "allowed" in Steampunk, I like it. So there.

I know I have something good when the characters begin to direct the plot. They're an interesting bunch, a bit rowdy, but very likable. They've taken permanent residence in by brain and are constantly whispering little details about themselves to me. The other day, Evie forcibly took my pen and showed me that she was a much more dangerous person than I had originally thought -- honestly, the girl is a menace! I already have a favorite, but I won't say who because the others might get jealous and wreck my plot.

My room mate suggested a new way of writing and it seems to be working very well, mostly because of the aggressive way these characters are telling their story. I'm writing a sort of summary of each of their lives from their viewpoints up to the movement where their lives intersect. Then I'll take it from there in the 3rd person. It helps to know how their minds work, and they've been very gracious about sharing their thoughts.

I don't want to post a description of the guys quite yet, nor am I going to divulge any plot details. Mostly, that's because it's not clear in my head, but it's also because I'm paranoid. If I was browsing a bookshop one day and discovered that someone had stolen my dear Linus Quinn, I would probably revert to my Viking roots and go berserk. Pity the thief, my people. It wouldn't be pretty.

So, if you see me in class writing furiously for no legitimate reason, tip of my tongue protruding shoulders tense, it's because they're talking to me again. If I don't pay attention they sulk, you see, and I can never recapture the phantom phrases.

I crave your indulgence mesdames et messieurs, and remain, as always,

Faithfully yours,

The Oddity

Note: For more information on everything Steampunk, visit brassgoggles.co.uk.

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My friend, you have a gift for writing. And for the record, I would love to see you revert to your Viking roots, as you so aptly put it. When you finish this novel of yours, I expect an autographed copy (hardcover, if you please).

I love it when I can hear the beginning of a story, the juices of an idea (or just the calling of the Muses) beginning to take shape in my mind; there's nothing quite like it. I encourage you to listen to them, but you definitely seem to have a handle on that already!